The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Top Stories

AP Tests may be over, but…

Although students can now breathe a sigh of relief with the ending of AP week, the end is still far from over as finals are just around the corner. In the past two weeks, thirty-four AP finals were administered across the nation from CollegeBoard in the past two weeks. With APs finally behind them, students are beginning to transition to studying for finals.

Most AP students have both AP tests and finals. Kristin Miyagi ’18 took the AP Government and Politics test on May 4, but has three finals coming up in June. “I like finals better because I like the format of having two hour finals instead of following the College Board’s format. Also, the teachers create the final test unlike the national AP test, so I’m more familiar with how they make the test,” said Miyagi. Ian Oga ’18 agrees. “Finals focus(es) on what you learned, but sometimes AP tests questions things we did not go over, which makes it harder.”

Not only are some sophomores, juniors, and seniors transitioning to reviewing for their last finals, but seventh, eighth are their very first finals. Upperclassmen offered some advice for seventh and eighth graders for the next year: “I try not to look at the clock too often because it makes me nervous and makes me panic,” said Miyagi.

For the many students who panic when running into problems that they cannot solve, Jarin Sakamoto ’18 says, “Stay calm during the test, because once you encounter a difficult problem you usually stress out, but you have to keep going.” However, there is a such thing as “over-studying.” “Sleep while you can. You’ll get to a point where you sleep six hours a day and still wake up tired each day,” said Brennan Hee ’17.

However, some students like to do practice problems. “Take a practice exam for each of the subjects you are going to take. Some tests give a lot of extra time to check work, but others are extremely fast-paced. It is easier to do well when the components and timing of the tests are familiar,” said Emily Youtt ’17. “Sometimes while I’m studying, I get nervous that I will forget the information on the test or freeze up, so I always write down a list of the key things I should remember so I can go over them right before the exam.

Although finals are coming up, students are prepared to face anything. Finals test what students learned over the year, and over-stressing will decrease performance. When studying for finals do practice problems, and, most of all, sleep. During the final, students should calm down and pace to allot more time for harder problems.