The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under News, Top Stories

Math Team Sweeps Meet 2

On October 29, the ‘Iolani varsity and junior varsity (JV) math teams swept first place finishes at the Meet 2 at Aiea High School. The varsity team snatched first place, scoring 262 points, beating other teams from McKinley High School, Punahou School, and Mililani High School, who placed second, third, and fourth respectively. In the JV division, ‘Iolani also placed first with a total of 109 points, with Punahou School, Kamehameha School, and McKinley High School settling for second, third, and fourth places respectively.

The ‘Iolani Math Team competes in the Oahu Math League and participates in seven meets during the school year, solving problems ranging from Algebra I to Precalculus.

“The goal for every meet is to work hard and prepare the best we can,” said Mr. Michael Park, math teacher and ‘Iolani Math Team head coach. “The team has fun solving challenging problems, working together, and competing against the top teams in the state.”

For each meet, members of the team have workshop days for the different events, such as similar triangles, linear equations, and logic. The week before the meet, the team practices every day during lunch. On the Friday before the meet, competitors engage in a marathon of difficult questions, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

“The most challenging part is definitely the marathon because the problems are so hard, but that’s kind of the point of why we have the marathon,” said junior varsity math team member Rebecca Ridao ’19. “Sound is the thing that is challenging for me because there is a lot of pressure and unknown distractions which makes me miss some of the easy questions.” Even before going into the testing rooms, the team solve more practice questions for each event.

Despite all the hard work, the coaches and team members have fun competing and being a part of the team. When asked what she likes best about being a part of the math team, Ridao said, “I honestly like learning formulas and tricks.”  Mr. Park added, “I enjoy working with mathematically talented students.”

We wish the ‘Iolani Math Team the best of luck at Meet 3, scheduled for November 18 at Kalani High School. Go Raiders!