The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Features, Top Stories

Chocolate Extravaganza

On October 8, student volunteers from ‘Iolani School’s Key Club dressed to the nines to help prep and serve at the 14th annual Chocolate Extravaganza at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Kailua. Half of the proceeds went to the Family Promise of Hawaii, an organization that helps families with children find permanent housing. Key Club Secretary, Joycelyn Liu ’18, said, “When we do Key Club events, we try to lend a hand wherever help is needed.”

Starting at 4 pm, Key Club volunteers began to prep the food and the place settings, topping them with delicious chocolates for an aesthetically pleasing look.

As VIP guests arrived, Key Club volunteers began to serve special platters provided by bistros and bakeries across the island, including JJ French Pastry & Bistro, Hawaii Fudge Company, Cactus Bistro, and many more. Nine rounds of macaroons, fudge, and cake later, Key Club members put these excellent dishes on display in the church. For an entrance fee of $25, guests were treated to about 20 trays of  with chocolate-filled deserts. Key Club members also rolled up their sleeves to work at the beverage stations, wash dishes, or run the chocolate fountain. A silent auction raised a sum of money for Family Promise.

After the event ended at 9 pm, the Key Club helped to take down tables and clean up the church. Their hard work paid off.

“The best part of the Chocolate Extravaganza was taking home leftover chocolate!” said Sydnee Kokubun ‘18, who along with each Key Club member received a box to fill to the brim with chocolates. A happy Kokubun said she would help again because “I got to socialize with my friends and other guests, and I tried new things while I was helping out.”