The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Editorials, Top Stories

AP Studio Art: Was it worth it?

It was 5:00 o’clock a.m. and I had just decided that I will just forget about sleep for that night. I was not writing a history paper, catching up on math homework, or studying for a physics test. I was rushing to meet my art deadline. It was certainly the most time-consuming class I had ever taken in my six years at ‘Iolani School. While many people still don’t know how art could be an AP class, I had the privilege to experience the class for myself. The idea of senior year drives one to automatically think about social life, “chill” classes, last chances at participating in school activities, and senioritis. However, I chose to go through senior year the hard way, and not just by taking any old AP courses. I chose AP Studio Art: Drawing Portfolio. When people asked me how many AP’s I was taking, I would tell them three: Chinese Language and Culture, Physics 1, and Studio Art: Drawing. Upon hearing the last, almost everyone stops to ask me what this “Studio Art” was. I could have lied and told them that it was nothing but sugar, spice, and everything nice. Or, if one caught me on a crabby day, I easily could have told them that it was a sleep depriver and stressIn reality, the class was all about time management and diligence to the extreme. It was about doing an average of one art piece per week, with high quality, such that there was no shame in submitting it to the College Board for eventual college credit. It was crucial to spend an outrageous amount of time outside of the double-period class to do enough art to fulfill the 24-piece portfolio. My greatest mistake was in thinking that two periods a day was enough to do the work, and ended up taking three weeks on my first piece, two months on my second piece, and one month on my fourth piece, putting myself in prime position to have to rush the rest of the way. The quarterly deadlines were created to help the student pace the rate of art output and meet the final AP deadline without missing any work, and they were at numbers such as seven pieces per quarter. Due to my own poor planning, the course was not only rough on my grades in other classes and golf practice time but the fatigue caused me to often get sick. At the end of the course, I wondered whether or not it was all worth it. Despite being frustrated with my own sluggish pace in finishing artwork, I was able to create some of the best artwork I could never imagine out of myself. The sheer detail and precision that came out of the countless hours helped me find unbelievable depth in my own work and fully display my skills. Looking back at the artwork I did last year in Drawing 1, I can’t believe the improvement and growth I have gone through. The feeling of having all the material and guidance resources in the world certainly didn’t hurt, either. To become a serious artist has been a lifelong dream of mine, even though I will be studying business in college. I finally got to live that dream for a year while enrolled in AP Studio Art: Drawing, and I will never regret doing anything that makes my dreams come true.