The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Book Fair Promotes Reading, Supports School

For over 26 years, the Lower School Library has been the home for ‘Iolani’s Book Fair. There are two Book Fairs in a year; however, one is held during Summer School while the other is held during the regular school year. On November 19, 20, and 21 (until 1:30 pm), the library will be selling a variety of books and supplies. The Book Fair sells mostly K-8 grade books and a few adult books. However, both Lower School and Upper School students visit the Lower School Library to participate in the Book Fair.

“The main purpose is to generate excitement about reading. When a student comes in and they’re excited, it’s so infectious for other kids,” said Mrs. Reser, who has been a librarian at Lower School for over 26 years. Aside from sparking interest in books, the Book Fair is also used as a small fundraiser for the Lower School. “[The money] goes to the lower school dean. The teachers go to it for special projects,” Mrs. Reser said.

Starting from this past summer’s Book Fair, they have been charging tax. In the years before, Mrs. Reser had been generous enough not to charge the customers. However, they have been selling a lot more, making it difficult and complicated to manage the numbers.

Come and support the Lower School in their only Book Fair for this 2014-2015 school year!

book-fair1Kylie Sakoda ’16
book-fair-2Kylie Sakoda ’16
book-fair-3Kylie Sakoda ’16