The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under News

Research Shown vs. Actual Student Perspectives: Balancing Sports

70% of the upper school students at ‘Iolani are participating in a sport. It does take patience and persistence of being able to balance their participation in sports and in their academics but does research actually show the aspects of an individual who is either, athletic or non-athletic? Nua Aga ’21 is not participating in and will not be participating in any sports this school year but as a non-athlete individual, she pays more attention and focus on her academics yet, she still sees the importance of both, academics and sports. “It helps that I don’t have to stay at school longer than I need to but at the same time, it doesn’t” mentions Nua Aga ’21. Without having the participation in any sports, she has the additional time to finishing homework and studying thoroughly but, you can still make up the time you’ve loss from your academics. Sports does weigh a lot of time management though with academics involved, the individual has the ability to balance the weight of time management between sports and academics.

Nua Aga ’21, as a non-athlete individual, has the abilities of focus and time management with her persistence in maintaining her academic career in a effective way.

Studies show that those who “pursue sports activities have been shown to exhibit more active brain function, better concentration levels and classroom behavior and higher self-esteem than their less-active counterparts”. Does research studies really prove the way a non-athlete behaves when not being able to participate in a sport? Aside from the research, there are individuals out there who contains the same mindset including focus and time management yet they’re not participating in a sport. The benefits of containing “better concentration levels” may not only come from doing a sport but it does come within an individual and is natural anyone whether, non-athletic or athletic.

Abi Hilpert ’21 participates in volleyball, practicing about 2-3 times a week for an hour and half into the night time. As a student she says, “I feel that volleyball doesn’t affect my academic life. I love the sport of volleyball and wouldn’t stop playing it”. Abi seems to not worry about participating in a sport at all. As she balances her time between sports and academics, she absorbs the motivation and encouragement from volleyball and applies it to her academics. Mentioned earlier, yes, sports do exhibit more brain function and better concentration. Though, whether it comes to an athletic student or a non-athletic student, interviews of these students contain and are “research” as well because they see no problem in managing your time when it comes to sports and academics. Nua contains the same results when being participated in a sport. Whereas Abi does contain the same features but

having at least 2-3 practices each week will lead her to being immune to the time management system.