The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Lighter Side

May Day: Exploring our Legacy

The air was charged with anticipation and excitement as the entire school poured into the lower gym. Hundreds of voices slowly quieted down as the emcees introduced the theme of the event and the May Day Court with the King and Queen. Students cheered and clapped as the May Day Court paraded into the gym. The crowd was treated to exciting Polynesian dances such as the Otea, performed by Dance 1-4 and Dance 3K, and the Sau ia, performed by Tamaiti o Samoa. The dances portrayed this year’s May Day theme of “Moana: Exploring the Ocean and Our Legacy.” The theme was an incorporation of the popular movie, Moana, and the school year’s theme of legacy. Each dance number represented an island in Polynesia so that it seemed as if we were “island hopping” from Tahiti to ‘Oahu. The Kiowao and Ua Nani ‘O Nu‘uanu, which was performed by the May Day Court, told the story of Nu‘uanu, the place where ‘Iolani School’s legacy began.

The May Day celebration was the culmination of countless hours that went into planning. In fact, “We started in late February, then met once a week at 7 am,” said May Day co-chair, Miki Kawahara. “The event would not have been successful without the help of everyone who contributed.” All the hard work and early mornings paid off.

“Even though there were a few mishaps in the beginning, I thought everyone looked great! The emcees really helped us to revise the script and the art department made the amazing stage decorations,” said Kawahara. Jenna Fujiwara, another May Day co-chair, also believed that the program was an amazing success. “It was all very exciting and upbeat,” said Fujiwara. “The Tahitian, Samoan dancing, and the beautiful Court and Queen dances were very eventful.”

The overall theme of “Moana: Exploring the Ocean and Our Legacy” inspires the members of ‘Iolani’s community to leave a legacy of their own.

“Moana had to continue the legacy of her ancestors,” said Fujiwara. “We as students and faculty of ‘Iolani should leave a legacy just as Moana did.”