The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Top Stories

Gabe Johnson Visits ‘Iolani

The ‘Iolani community was fortunate to host digital journalist Gabe Johnson as the 2017 McDermott Chair for Communications and Journalism. Mr. Johnson is senior video journalist at The Wall Street Journal and has produced numerous short films and documentaries. During his visit to `Iolani during April 26-18, Johnson informed students of how technology is evolving and changing the world of journalism. His visit benefitted students from Newsroom, Film Production, Creative Writing, Creative Non-Fiction, and Contemporary Issues classes. Students learned about the importance of digital journalism and how to use video to capture stories in a new way.

Mr. Johnson shared with the students about the experiences that have helped mold him into the video journalist he is today. He explained how he was recruited to partner with successful writers and develop their print stories into a video which allows viewers to see the story progress right before their eyes. Mr. Johnson also introduced different shots and angles that affect the quality of a film.

Mr. Johnson’s visit with `‘Iolani students culminated in a community event on April 27.  His talk, “The Transition to Digital Journalism,” attracted students from Punahou School, McKinley High School, University of Hawai‘i, Windward Community College, and even members from Hawai‘i business and media communities. During his speech, Mr. Johnson addressed the rapidly changing field of journalism as it faces a future that is increasingly viewed on a screen, rather than in print.
After Mr. Johnson left the islands and returned to work, students and members in the community were able to reflect on what they learned. His speech and lessons on digital media will definitely help budding journalists and others adapt to the changes occurring in today’s ever-evolving journalism world.