The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Top Stories

A L17 Event

The sound of the bell at 3:00pm on Friday, February 17 triggered a sea of students who dashed toward the Convention Drive parking lot to secure a first spot in line at the food trucks from Taste Tea, The Girls Who Bake Next Door, and Flying Ahi. The L17 (Lit) event, a special night featuring good food, including mouth-watering pizza and drinks from IDP and refreshing treats Waiola Shave Ice, also housed two giant bounce houses which entertained students and youngsters for hours. Campus facilities like the Student Center turned into a fun photo booth, a video Game Center, and a henna booth while the Center Courtyard became the stage for the Hydrolites. Proconsuls Dane Nakama ’17, Koa Among ’17, and Joshua Chun ’17 worked with the Student Activities Officers to plan this extraordinary event to kick off the students’ three-day, no-homework weekend.

“We came up with the general idea for the event during informal meetings between the three of us at Taste Tea over the summer,” said Chun. “We wanted to do something similar to the Big Event a couple years ago and to give back to all the students.”

The Proconsuls brainstormed the idea by drawing a layout of the event then working toward getting different components approved. “One of the problems we encountered was the scheduling of the event, as there were several conflicts we had to be aware of,” said Chun. “In addition, we wanted to have some kind of dance or movie showing after the event, but this was not feasible due to the scheduling of other prior events.”

Taste Tea, Waiola Shave Ice, and The Girls Who Bake Next Door were “hands-down” choices as they are all extremely popular among the students. The Proconsuls also visited the website Roaming Hunger to look for local food vendors that would match each other.

Besides the good food, the local band The Hydrolites drew an appreciative crowd.  Chun said, “They were a new and fresh band who we had never heard before but had heard good things about, so we were stoked to see them play. We also all love local and reggae music.”

“I honestly loved all of it: the food trucks, the music, and the photo booth. But my favorite part of the entire event was just being able to have fun and relax with my friends,” said Jarin Ng ’19.

Chenyi Hu ’19 said, “My favorite part of the L17 Event was that I got to get some good food.”

Would the students want another event similar to the L17 Event next year? “I would definitely like another event like the L17 Event again,” said Ng. “It was fun, although the only thing I would suggest is fixing the Taste Tea wait problem.”

Hu added, “I wish they have more of these kinds of events and maybe more variety of food also, so everyone can get what they like to eat.”

Next time you see the proconsuls, please remember to thank them for all of their hard work and creativity that went into the creation of this event!