The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Top Stories

Cheerleaders Cinch Competition

With hard work and determination, you can achieve anything. This past Saturday, on January 28, 2017, `Iolani’s cheerleading team, went to Anaheim, California to compete in the West Coast Championship. This was a coed junior varsity and varsity cheerleading competition held by the Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA).

Teams from the west coast, including Hawaii and Canada, competed in this competition. The team was entered into two categories, “Game Day” and a routine competition. The “Game Day” category required the team to prepare two cheers and a band dance, just like at a football game. The second category was a routine, where the team performed a cheer with tumbling, a pyramid, a dance, a stunt series. “At the end of the competition, all the teams gather on the floor to hear the results and to our amazement, we had taken first place in both [categories],” says cheerleader, Shane Robertson ‘18.

Because this was the first time the `Iolani cheer team has traveled to the mainland for competition, they faced many obstacles. “It was very hectic because originally, we didn’t really know what we were getting into,” explains senior cheerleader, Kassie Nakaya ‘17. Some of the hardships were due to injuries and learning new routines. There were a few injuries before the competition, forcing the team to hold a small tryout session to fill those spots. Cheerleader, Michelle Wagner ‘18 said, “Having to adjust and learning how to work with the new members in such a short amount of time was hard because we had little time to reach out and get to know them well before being thrown into the routine.” However, their hard work paid off when they placed first in both their routines.

“Of course winning was a huge reward, but more than just the competition,” says Wagner, adding, “our team had bonded so much and made so many memories from the day at Disneyland or even the time spent on car rides.”