The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Features, Top Stories

The IT man: Jim Crum hopes to boost information technology at ‘Iolani

Korry Luke

Korry Luke

Meet Mr. Jim Crum, the new Interim Director of Information Services. Imua ‘Iolani sat down for an interview with Mr. Crum recently to ask him about his job and his goals for the Information Services Department, which oversees all technology at the school, from computer labs to interactive whiteboards to iPads.

Imua: What do you

do as Director of Information Services?
JC: My position is a new position created by the school for growth in the use of technology in education, particularly the iPad one-to-one initiative. I was hired to steer the ‘technology ship’ at the school, and communicate between faculty about best uses for technology.

Imua: What made you qualified for this job, and what made you choose our school?
JC: I have worked in schools since the 1990s, particularly the Academy of the Pacific, managing their iPad one-to-one initiative there. I met Dr. Cottrell through

my relationship with Mr. Josh Reppun, who consulted me about technology development.

Imua: What are your goals for the school, and what do you hope to accomplish here?
JC: I am hoping to review the school’s current infrastructure, as we are still in the ‘petri dish’ prototype stage as far as the iPads go, particularly ensuring that the school’s network infrastructure can handle the additional load from the iPads, and ensuring that content filtering, network access points, network switches, and app distribution all function properly. The Information Services Department hopes to perform numerous upgrades and optimizations, but they will be mostly behind the scenes things like upgrading bandwidth, providing redundancy to prevent future network outages, and finding software to best manage the increasing number of devices. We hope to add more staff to alleviate stress to our current workforce, as well as prepare for the arrival of the completed Sullivan Center. Additionally, I am working with Mr. Josh Reppun to establish a technology leadership here at ‘Iolani, where students will be able to collaborate with faculty and staff to resolve issues as they arise, by increasing ‘Iolani students’ critical thinking skills through the use of real world problem solving.

Imua: On a different note, what do you do in your free time?
JC: I am a motorcycle guy, and I have taught motorcycle safety for the last ten years. When I’m feeling bored, I enjoy riding around the island, or try my hand at surfing, both on and off the Internet. On the mainland, my son manages my company ‘Geeks 4 Good,’ which helps nonprofit organizations create modern websites and technology solutions.

Most of Mr. Crum’s work may seem tedious, but he hopes to springboard the school through the use of the one-to-one iPad initiative program, upgrading and revamping the campus infrastructure, and developing a new student technology leadership program.

Questions about the student technology leadership program can be directed to Mr. Crum at jcrum@iolani.org.