The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Sports

Varsity Boys Soccer Team Wins ILH

`Iolani Boys Soccer team’s 5-0 victory over Kamehameha on Saturday, January 28, made for a sweet farewell for 15 parting seniors at the Kozuki Stadium.

Tanner Shimamoto ‘17 who scored the second goal in the 23rd minute of the game off a free kick outside of 18-yard box sending the crowd on their feet.

“I was focusing on staying over the ball and making sure it didn’t go over,” said Shimamoto. The other four goals were scored by his fellow teammates Alex Liu ‘18, Tyler Ebisuya ‘17, Cole Motooka ‘20, and Keanu Srivongsana ‘17.

As an underclassman, Lincoln Oishi ‘19 helped to make this day as memorable as he could for the seniors.

“Before the game, I tried not to mess around with them (like we usually do), so that they could get the right mindset,” said Oishi. “On the field, I tried to give the seniors as much time on the ball.”

After the game, fans gathered around the seniors piling on lei and congratulating them on their special day. Matt Uemoto ‘17, an outside fullback, and three-year veteran of the team said, “my favorite memory about Senior Night is seeing all of the signs and people who came out to watch the game.”

Having ended their season with a total of 29 points,‘Iolani’s soccer team tied for first place with Punahou which is enough to get them into the HHSAA State Tournament.

“I don’t think we need to necessarily do anything different,” said Shimamoto, in response to what the team needed to do to prepare for the tournament.  “We’ve been working hard all season and we’re peaking at the right time, so it is just a matter of continuing the momentum and playing with confidence.”

The Raiders didn’t disappoint. During the championship game against Punahou on Tuesday, January 31, Keanu Srivongsana ‘17 scored the goal for ‘Iolani off a header. After a full 80 minutes of regulation time, the game was tied 1-1 leading to a double overtime. The teams ended up going into penalty kicks, during which ‘Iolani won 4 goals to 1. Reveling in the satisfaction that comes with hard work, the ‘Iolani Boys varsity team proudly carried home the 2016-17 ILH champion banner.