The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Sports

Junior Varsity Swim Championships

On January 24, ‘Iolani’s Junior Varsity swim team showcased their talents at ILH Championships held at Kamehameha School. Despite cold, rainy weather and a chilly pool, the swimmers performed well and closed out the season with success. Among them was Jenny Lee ‘19 whose strong, sweeping stroke placed her fifth overall in the 100m Fly with a time of 1:09. Lee also closed out the girls 200m Freestyle relay as the anchor. The team, which consisted of Eve Huddleston ‘19, Rain Tanabe ‘19, and Alyssa Watanabe ‘19 in addition to Lee, placed fourth overall.
“The race was good because everyone made their splits!” said Lee, explaining how each swimmer swam their fastest times for the relay.
The girls were not the only swimmers bringing home titles. ‘Iolani’s boy’s 200m Freestyle relay won first place, managing to edge out Punahou in the last few seconds of the race. The lineup consisted of James Pentland ‘18, Ethan Buck ‘19, Kaelan Lamppert ‘18 and Kenneth McKinlay ‘18.
“The coach set it up that way because James is good at starting. He gives us a lot of energy. Ethan and Kaelan are both good sprinters because they have a lot of heart and I was the anchor because I’m a strong closer,” said McKinlay.
According to Pentland, the relay’s success was due to the fact that the team has grown very close, having persevered through the same challenging swim practices together throughout the season.
“We are all really proud of each other because a lot of us have qualified for states this year for the first time,” added Pentland. Now, they get to reap the benefits of all their hard work, together.