The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under News

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday represents the start of Lent when millions of people give up one item of their enjoyment for this period of fasting. On Wednesday, March 1, students, teachers, and staff were all welcomed to get “Ashes to Go” for Ash Wednesday on campus. These “Ashes to Go” were offered in the Center Courtyard on the Pā and the chapel this past Wednesday from 12:40-1pm. Students eagerly lined up to get a cross drawn on their forehead with ashes. These ash crosses were drawn onto the heads of the recipients accompanied by the words “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return”.

“The ashes are of new life rising out of what it was previously and in that sense we are miracles of God,” said Chaplain Patton Graham.

In this week’s chapel, our chaplains encouraged us to be reminded of our connection to God and all creations during this time including Stage Band’s wonderful performance giving us a flavor of Mardi Gras and the New Orleans.

“Getting this [cross] reminds me that once we die, we get turned back to dust and our natural state. After listening to this week’s chapel talk, I decided to get a cross drawn on my forehead,” said Uchida 20’.

Many students lined up inside chapel and on the Pā like Shotaro Uchida 20’, to get a cross drawn on their forehead or even just a prayer to remind themselves of their connection to God and all creation.

“It’s really about understanding that God loves us and that we are miracles of God. To reflect inwardly on how to be miracles and to embrace the love and share the love outwards,” said Chaplain Simopoulos.
~~Day by day, Dear Lord, three things I pray. To see you more clearly. Love you more dearly. Follow you more nearly. Day by day.~~