The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Features

Beatrix Oyster: Professional Highschool Photographer

“I love seeing my vision come to life. It’s an indescribable feeling” said 16 year-old, entrepreneur and photographer Beatrix (Bea) Oyster ’18 whose vision is undoubtedly coming to life as she emerges into the spotlight.In school, Oyster is a contributing member to ‘Iolani’s School yearbook. Out of school, Oyster extends her depth of field focusing on creating photography editorials for local and national brands.

Originally from New York City, Oyster moved to the island at four years-old. To document her new home, she received her first disposable camera. “I took pictures of everything meaningful to me, like my sisters and stuffed animals” said Oyster. As much has she loved disposable cameras, Oyster did not enjoy waiting for the photos to develop. However, on her fifth birthday, she earned a Polaroid camera, which gave her “immediate gratification and element of surprise.” Since then, her love for photography has spiked.

Oyster describes the theme of her photos as vibrant and film-like. “My photographs of teens evoke a sense of youth and nostalgia. Fashion photography, in particular, allows me to bring my creative visions to life. I spend many hours planning the concept, styling, choosing models, shooting, and editing. My photography is always evolving, just like me.”

Other than Hawai‘i’s overall lifestyle, Oyster gains inspiration from other photographers, as well as her models. “I am inspired by iconic photographer Annie Leibovitz, who took my sister’s preschool class photo, and modern-day filmmaker/photographer Petra Collins. Both of them have an extraordinary talent for photographing women with a sense of beauty, raw quality, and depth,” said Oyster. Moreover, her models’ stories and passions inspire Oyster’s vivid photos.  

Photography has widened Oyster’s lens presenting various opportunities. During her trip in Boston, Oyster worked with founder and editor-in-chief of TUCK*d Magazine, Ella Snyder. “TUCK*d Magazine was created in the hopes of eliminating the stigma around transgender youth, and aims to give a voice to young trans people” writes Snyder. “It is the first publication of its kind, being the only magazine by trans youth, for trans youth.”

When Oyster is not helping others capture their visions, Oyster is working with other teens around the world on a start-up teen magazine. “Our first issue about ‘making a global impact on our world’ is scheduled to be released in print and digitally later this year” said Oyster.

The following is an interview with Oyster:

Why did I start shooting? How long have you been shooting?
My parents gave me a disposable camera at four years old when we moved from New York City to Honolulu to document my new home. I took pictures of everything meaningful to me, like my sisters and my stuffed animals. As much as I loved disposable cameras, I didn’t like waiting and waiting for them to be developed. On my fifth birthday I received a Polaroid and loved the immediate gratification and element of surprise. Since then, my love for cameras and photography has grown.

Favorite environment to shoot in?
I don’t have a favorite environment but I always enjoy shooting in new places when I travel. It’s boring to always shoot in the same location.

What do you hope for the future of your photography?
I want to continue to learn and grow as a photographer.  My focus is on the process and not any particular end goal. It is something I truly love and it has opened doors and led to many opportunities.

For instance, when I was in Boston over spring break, I shot with Ella Snyder, the founder and editor-in-chief of TUCK*d magazine. Also, I am currently working with a small group of teens from around the world on a start-up teen magazine. Our first issue about “making a global impact on our world” is scheduled to be released in print and digitally later this year.

Who knows what the future holds…

What is the main theme of your photos? What makes your photos unique?
My vibrant, film-like photographs of teens evoke a sense of youth and nostalgia. Fashion photography in particular allows me to bring my creative visions to life. I spend many hours planning the concept, styling, choosing models, shooting, and editing. My photography is always evolving, just like me.

What inspires your photos?
I am inspired by iconic photographer Annie Leibovitz (who took my sister’s preschool class photo) and modern-day filmmaker/photographer Petra Collins. Both of them have an extraordinary talent for photographing women with a sense of beauty, raw quality, and depth. On a more personal level, I am inspired by those who I shoot with and their stories and passions.

Favorite part of shooting?
I love seeing my vision come to life! It’s an indescribable feeling.