The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Features

Productivity with IOS 10

The new iOS 10, which debuted on September 13, features many noticeable upgrades. From new emojis to different display options, the iOS has many ‘Iolani students enjoying its new features.

One of the update’s most popular additions is Digital Touch. Digital Touch allows you to send sketches, heartbeats, and various taps through iMessages. For example, you can place two fingers on the screen for a few seconds to send your heartbeat. By tapping two fingers on the screen one or two more times, you can send a “kiss”. These fun new texting options have been quite popular among students.

“I really like the Digital Touch because it’s so much easier than typing and it lets me express my creativity,” said Tiana Conching ‘19.

The fun new look of the messages have caught students’ attentions as well.

“I like the new messages. It’s so much fun now that they have stickers which you can use to enhance your messages,” said Rebecca Ridao ‘19. “It also looks like a kid’s play area with all the colors and stickers and gifs scattered through the chat.”

The iOS 10 also sports the ability to split-screen Safari. This has proven helpful for students when they are researching and overall multi-tasking. Ridao adds that she and many other students- enjoy using the new split screen on Safari “because I’ve been switching back and forth when I have two articles or two websites open when I’m doing research for a paper. Now, I can have both of them out which makes it so much easier.”

Here are some helpful tips and tricks to maximize your productivity with the new iOS 10 features:

• If you want to use two Safari pages at a time, hold and drag a web page tab to the far right side of a screen. Then, you will have two Safari pages open at once.
  • If you are studying late at night, to reduce eye strain, schedule Night Shift to turn on from sunset to sunrise. You can do this by going to Setting> Display and Brightness.
  • If you want to see all of your notifications at a glance, simply swipe right at the                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           lock screen. There, at the “Widgets window” you can see practically anything, from reminders to weather. On the other hand, if you swipe left, you will immediately be taken to your camera.
  • If you want to customize what pops up on the Widgets window, press on the “Edit” button at the bottom of the screen. It will take you to a page where you can manually select what will show up on the Widgets window.
  • Finally, you can at last remove the stock apps (those apps that come with your device that you honestly never use) from your home screen! Just hold down on the app like you would with any other app and the “x” will show up. Press the “x” and the app will be deleted.