The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Filed under Editorials

Is there a solution to Hawaii’s Homeless?

Homeless people are everywhere on Oahu. Think about it. Wherever you go, you’re going to see a man, woman, or even a family living on the street, in a park, or on a sidewalk. Most of them are carrying or pushing carts full of dirty hoards of everything they own.

Can you imagine what it must be like to have no home? Could you live without your privacy, bathroom, kitchen, or yard? Most `Iolani students say they can’t imagine life without a home as a center for their lives–without a place to get clean, to have a meal, or to be with their families.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell has recently signed a bill that increases the area covered by the sit-lie ban, where no one is allowed to sit or lie down on the sidewalk or other public places. With the passing of the law, homeless living in Iwilei and part of Kapalama have to move to a different part of town. Does moving to another area solve the problem?  

Everyone — resident or visitor– is disturbed by seeing homeless families with nothing to do and occupying public spaces. Everyone wonders about the unhealthy conditions they live in and how their every-day needs can be taken care of. Everyone wishes the problem would just go away. But it won’t.

This complex problem doesn’t have just one solution, just as it doesn’t have just one cause. Some homeless have mental problems that keep them from living like most people live. Some have lost their home, family, and jobs because of drug addiction. Some just want to live outdoors and feel it is their right to do so. Some came to Hawaii hoping to live on minimum wage and live on the beach, but find it is  not the wonderful life they imagined.

Sources: <http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/05/12/hawaii-news/caldwell-enacts-law-pushing-sit-lie-ban-to-additional-areas/>