The School Newspaper of 'Iolani School.

Imua 'Iolani

Beauty and the Beast: A Play

It is hard to compete with the recent movie rendition of “Beauty and the Beast,” but the Musical Theater 1 performed the traditional version of “Beauty and the Beast” with passion and entertained three sold-out shows on May 5, 6, and 7 at Mamiya Theater. The three different classes each performed on different days. Each cast captivated the audience during songs such as “Be Our Guest” and “Human Again.” Julia Yamaguchi ‘21, Myla Pelegrini ‘21, and Clara Garfield ‘22 played Belle and Josh Guillou ‘22, Kala Chong ‘21, and Sean Maskery ‘21 played the Beast.

The class began rehearsals in December after being cast through an audition process that consisted of not only preparing a piece to perform in front of Mrs. Catherine Hicks, the class’s teacher; and Mr. Kevin Pease, a consultant to Mrs. Hicks; but also acting out a scene with other students as the character they were auditioning for. After five months of rehearsing, the class was ready for the stage.
“The week leading up to the play I was really nervous. But when it was the day of the show, I was really excited. I usually get really nervous before things, but before the play I wasn’t scared at all,” said Lexi Berganio ‘21 who played a sassy girl and a knife. “The best part was when we were first in the theater because I realized, ‘Wow, I’m actually putting on a show’.”